This is a hearty recipe perfect for filling up empty tummies. It's handy for those nights that you want something hot but don't feel like cooking; all you have to do is open up some cans, stir, and heat it all up.
Here's what you'll need:
- 1 onion, chopped (or 1/4 cup dried onion flakes)
- 1 small green pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1 16-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 16-ounce cans kidney beans
- 2 8-ounce cans corn
- 1 16-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 40-50 cooked 1-inch meatballs (fresh or frozen)
- Cheddar cheese, grated
- Corn chips such as Fritos Scoops
In a large saucepan or stockpot, combine all of the ingredients except for the meatballs, cheddar cheese, and corn chips. Bring to a boil. Add meatballs, cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle into individual bowls, top with cheddar cheese and serve corn chips on the side.
You can play with the level of ingredients in this recipe easily. My family loves meat, so our take on this recipe is heavy on the meatballs. If your family prefers more veggies, you can use 25 to 30 meatballs and still have a great dish.
This recipe makes enough for dinner for your family for tonight and leaves plenty of leftovers for reheating later in the week. If you don't want leftovers, cut the recipe in half. This is just the ticket for busy families!