Baby Girl came home for Spring Break and wanted some good home cooking, so Hubby made a yummy casserole from Southern Living magazine's February 2009 issue. It was such a hit at our house that I had to share it with you.
Here's what you'll need:
- 1 (10-oz.) package yellow rice mix
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 (15-oz.) can black beans, drained
- 1 (10-oz.) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- 2 cups (8 oz.) grated Monterey Jack cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare rice according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, sauté onion, bell pepper, and carrot in hot oil in a medium skillet over medium heat 10 minutes or until tender.
3. Combine hot cooked rice, onion mixture, cooked chicken, beans, diced tomatoes and chiles, and 1-1/2 cups cheese in a large bowl. Spoon into a lightly greased 3-qt. or 13- x 9-inch baking dish; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
4. Bake covered at 350° for 30 minutes; uncover and bake 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Of course, we had to make some changes to the recipe. We're big eaters, so we increased the chicken to 5 chicken breasts, added another half cup of cheese and changed the type to cheddar, used 3/4 cup of bell pepper and carrot rather than 1/2 cup. We cooked it all up in a 13- x 10-inch baking dish greased with butter. Next time we make the recipe (which will be soon) we'll use two cans of black beans rather than one. We baked ours covered with aluminum foil for 40 minutes and it was terrific.