To give myself a kick-start on the weight loss, for the first seven days I'm doing the Cabbage Soup Diet. You know the one...it's been called a lot of names (the Sacred Heart diet, the General Motors diet, the Russian peasant diet) and no one really knows where it comes from but it's been around since the 1980s when everyone was sneaking around and faxing it to their friends from work.
But I've done the diet before and even though the ten pounds or so you can lose in a week are probably only water loss, seeing the bathroom scale popping up numbers you haven't seen in a while is a mighty good incentive to keep going.
|This is my Taylor Body Fat Analyzer and Scale.|
It is an evil machine.
Hubby is a meat and salad kind of guy, and he loves cabbage soup, so neither of these diets will be a hardship on him. He'll just supplement with desserts so that he won't lose too much weight and we should be fine.
If you'd like to try the Cabbage Soup diet, I've listed the concepts below. The soup recipe differs from source to source, but the main ingredients are onions, green bell peppers, tomatoes, celery, cabbage, onion soup mix, and water. If you hate cabbage (like I do), it's no problem. You can substitute other vegetables like zucchini for the cabbage, and even add vegetables that you really like to the recipe. Just avoid adding potatoes, corn, or beans.
Cabbage Soup Recipe
- 6 large green onions or one yellow or white onion
- 2 green bell peppers
- 1 or 2 cans of tomatoes or several fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bunch celery, sliced
- 1/2 head cabbage, chopped
- 1 package (Lipton) onion soup mix
- 48 ounces of water
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, spices
Every day you'll eat as much of the soup as you want. You'll also need to drink several glasses of water a day to flush out your system...make an effort to drink at least four glasses of water per day. It's fine to add lemon or lime to the water. Plain unsweetened coffee and tea are fine to drink as well. No sodas (not even diet!) or alcohol are allowed.
- Day 1 - Soup, plus all the fruit you want except bananas. Melons are great!
- Day 2 - Soup, a baked potato with one pat of butter, and all the vegetables you want.
- Day 3 - Soup, plus all the fruit (except bananas) you want, and all the vegetables you want.
- Day 4 - Soup, plus up to six bananas, all the skim milk you want.
- Day 5 - Soup, plus 10 to 20 ounces of lean beef, several tomatoes, extra four glasses of water.
- Day 6 - Soup, plus all the beef and vegetables you want.
- Day 7 - Soup, plus brown rice, unsweetened fruit juices, and vegetables.
Hubby and I went grocery shopping yesterday and picked up all the extra produce that I'll be eating. I'll also be taking a multivitamin every day to be sure that I get the vitamins and minerals that I might be missing for the week.
The diet starts tomorrow and to keep me honest, I'll be putting a little status box at the bottom of my posts each day to let you know how I'm doing. It will look something like this:
Wish me luck!